Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fidel's in Westport




No, this isn't a new shop, but I honestly thought it had closed a while back. The fact that they currently have no website didn't help to contradict this perception.

What I found when I walked in was a fairly small shop with floor-to-ceiling humidor cases along the side walls, a nice display of featured products, assorted empty cigar boxes and antique cigar press adorning the center of the room and a good selection of accessories stocked in the case to the rear of the shop. Everything was done in dark woods with an old-world feel. Although the selection was not as broad as the larger area shops, they seemed to stock all the major brands and sizes and prices were very much in line with other shops around town.

The staff (I believe he was an owner) was very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. He was happy to show me the old perfecto press he had on display and suggested I try one of his best sellers, the Kristoff Criollo, which I gladly bought (and will be reviewing at a later date).

There is a lounge in the back room for customers only which features a cafe-like atmosphere (it IS Westport, after all), one or more TVs and perhaps WiFi internet access. Nice.

Stop in and check 'em out next time you're in Westport!

2 comments: